Managing Utility Failure
In case of utility failures call:
- POWER > Fortis Alberta (780) 310-9473 (24 hours)
- GAS > ATCO Gas (780) 420-5585 (24 hours)
- Water & Sewer > Town Office (780) 789-3935 or (780) 818-4876 (After Hours)
- Call Before you Dig > Alberta One Call (800) 242-3447
Natural Gas Leaks
If you should smell gas in your house:
- Open windows for ventilation.
- Leave the house.
- Call 9-1-1 for the Fire Department and Atco’s 24 hour service at 780.420.5585 from the nearest telephone.
- Do not use a lighter or matches or operate electrical switches or appliances if you smell gas in your house.
Winter Power Failure
If the power failure affects your entire street:
- Locate your flashlight, emergency radio and extra batteries.
- Turn on your radio to any local station.
- Assemble all people, pets and blankets in one room.
- Turn off your electrical appliances and home entertainment equipment to avoid damage when power resumes.
- Put on extra clothing – layered clothing will be more effective to keep you warm.
- If you have a fireplace, sufficient supplies of firewood should be kept dry and accessible.
- Fill containers and your bathtub with water in case pipes freeze.
- Close doors to unused rooms to conserve heat.
- A barbecue or camp stove offers an alternative cooking source, but do not use them inside the house.
- Exercise enough to stay warm and maintain circulation, but not enough to work up a sweat.
- Notify Fortis Alberta at 780.310.9473.
Water And Sewer Emergency
If the sewer is backing up into your basement or if there is no water coming into your house through the pipes, immediately call Public Works at (780) 789-3330 or after hours at (780) 818-4876.
- If there is a pipe leaking or broken in your house or the toilet or sink is plugged, immediately call